Contractors have the responsibility to protect their employees, subcontractors and the general public (including invitees to a construction project) from adverse safety and health conditions that can occur on a construction site.
They must also protect the public from nuisance conditions (i.e. ambient noise, dust), implement the necessary controls to avoid disruption of public routes and services and maintain a continuous separation between construction zones and public areas. Recent construction catastrophes in urban centers and suburban residential projects have signiﬁcantly raised public awareness and concern of the Inherent dangers of construction.
Consider the following to help prevent injuries and accidents:
- Open excavations: Are they properly protected from site visitors others working on-site?
- Existing utilities: Are they properly identified and marked?
- Traffic routes (vehicular and pedestrian) is the safest route in use? Proper barricades?
- Pedestrian routes including provisions for members of the public with special needs: Are they malntairiezi and in good condition?
- Warning signs: Are they properly spaced. in good condition and illuminated (when required)?
- Mobile equipment transport and usage: is there access in and out of the project?
- Deliveries to the site and routine debris: is collection and removal properly planned?
- Emergencies: Is there accessibility to the site by emergency medical services (EMS) and is there an effective Emergency Action Plan in place?
- Falling and wind-blown objects: are there potential hazards that could injure or damage others’ property?
- Illumination: is it adequate for nighttime visibility? is it directed away from a driver’s line of sight?
- Vibrations or ground settlement: Are exposures evaluated and controlled?
- Noise and dust from operations: Are they contained or controlled?
- Inclement weather: Are provisions in place for drainage, water run-off and other exposures?
- Communications: is a plan in place and coordinated with authorities. including community relations?
KEEP JOB SITES SAFE AND PROVIDE ADEQUATE PROTECTION OF THE PUBLIC!