When it rains, employees who work outdoors contend with poor visibility and wet, slippery working and walking conditions. Following these tips can help prevent accidents and injuries when working in the rain.
- Move and work more slowly and carefully to prevent slipping and falling. Avoid climbing ladders.
- Use the correct equipment. Do not use electrical tools or equipment that is not speciﬁcally rated for outdoor use when working in the rain. When using hand tools, use tools with textured, nonslip grip handles.
- Wear appropriate rain gear of the proper size. Rain gear which includes both a coat and pants or overalls and is ventilated should be worn for prolonged wet-weather work. In cold and rainy conditions, wool or synthetic fibers clothing designed for cold weather use are the best under rain gear. It will keep you warm even if it gets wet.
- Footwear for use in inclement weather should have deep treads to help prevent slipping. To keep water out of shoes or boots, make sure the top of the shoe or boot extends above the ankle and rain gear extends to the ankles.
- Use proper hand protection. When doing work requiring a sure grip (using hand tools, for example), wear gloves that ﬁt snugly and provide a nonslip grip. To prevent water from entering gloves, make sure that the sleeve of the glove is either tight fitting or is long enough that it fits under the cuff of your raincoat.
- If wearing goggles or eyeglasses, use antifogging sprays or wipes on them before going outside. Be sure that the area you are working in is well lit; only use lights rated for outdoor use. Wear hoods or hats to keep rain out of your eyes. Also, make it a point to turn your head to look both ways when wearing a hood in the rain.
- If working in an area where there is vehicular traffic (trucks, cars, forklifts‘, etc.), always wear bright-colored, reflective vests or rain gear, even during the day. Do not wear rain gear or vests that have become worn and are dull and/or no longer reflective.
BE SAFE, TAKE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS WHEN WORKING IN WET WEATHER!