32 Main Street, Essex, Connecticut — restored antique house and new carriage house, built by Sapia Builders

Essex, Connecticut · 2019

32 Main Street

Two buildings on one property, with opposite problems. Restore a post-and-beam antique so it looks like nothing ever happened to it. Then take down the garage and put up a carriage house that looks like it was always there.

The rear brick foundation was disintegrating and the back of the house had to grow. So we took out all three floor systems — first floor, second floor, attic — and the house stood open from the roof down to the basement. It looked like a doll house with the back off.

That's a lot of shoring for a house this size. We carried the original timber frame on temporary posts while the new foundation went in underneath it, then built a new floor system in TJI and LVL inside the old frame. The floors it replaced had bump and sag all through them. This one is dead level.

Before any of it came apart we photographed every original profile — the entry pilasters, the corner boards, the cornice — so what went back matched what came off.

The garage was a one-car building and it came down. What went up in its place is a carriage house with three bays and a copper-roofed cupola. AIA Connecticut gave it an Alice Washburn Excellence Award for accessory buildings, judged by a jury of three architects against new work across the state.

The short version

Project of
the Year
2019 HOBI Awards — the program's highest honour
3
Floor systems removed and rebuilt inside the original frame
2
Buildings. One restored, one new. Both won awards.
1878
The year written on the back of a door upstairs
I.

What We Found

Disintegrating brick foundation under the rear of the house
The rear foundation. Brick going back to sand, carrying a timber sill.
Hand-hewn timber sill bearing on dry-laid fieldstone
Hewn sill on dry-laid fieldstone. Fine for 200 years, done now.
II.

The Doll House

The rear of the house shored on temporary posts with the floor systems removed
The rear opened up, the frame on temporary posts, new forms going in below it.
New poured concrete foundation walls beneath the shored house
New foundation poured underneath while the house stood on shoring.
The original timber frame exposed at the rear of the house
Roof sheathing off, chimneys standing free, three floor systems gone. Open from the ridge to the cellar.
Chalk inscription on the back of an original plank door reading Oliver was born in the year 1878

Oliver, 1878

Chalked on the back of a plank door, behind the strap hinges, where nobody had looked in a long time: Oliver — was born in the year 1878.

The surname's gone. We couldn't read it and neither could anyone else who tried. Somebody in this house wrote down a birth on the nearest flat surface and went back to work, and it sat there through every owner since.

The door is still hanging in the house.

III.

Finished

Kitchen with painted island and coffered ceiling
Kitchen, in the part of the house that grew.
Barrel-vaulted and coffered bedroom ceiling
Barrel vault and coffers over the main bedroom.
IV.

The Carriage House

New three-bay carriage house with a cupola and cobblestone courtyard
Three bays, cobblestone court. Built new in 2019.
Copper-roofed cupola on the new carriage house
Copper on the cupola. It'll be green long after we're done arguing about it.
Recognition
  • Project of the Year2019 HOBI Awards
  • Best Historic Rehabilitation2019 HOBI Awards
  • Best Accessory Building2019 HOBI Awards
  • Alice Washburn Award, Excellence2020 AIA Connecticut — Accessory Buildings